Thursday, January 16, 2020

A Deep Freeze and Some Sewing

Good COLD morning!!!!!!!!  We are coming to the end of a COLD snap and when I say cold I mean cold.  -40C mornings and "warming up" to -34C during the day!  Tuesday I had a nail appointment at noon otherwise I wouldn't have left the house!  I did not go anywhere yesterday.  The only good thing about those past two days was that the sun was shining.  Today is a few degrees warmer (-28C) but it's cloudy.  Oh well, it is what it is and we deal with it here in Alberta, Canada!

Last week my friend Kim challenged me to make quilt top and sent me the pattern she drafted up.....she wants to try out a fancy quilting design on it and I was game for her to do that on something I made!  Here it is....super simple and all stash fabrics.  It finished 64 x 64 (or was it 65 x 65?)  I love the feather fabric that I used for the background....I remember it being on sale somewhere and I thought "what the heck...stash!"  I used it all up and I used up all the solid I used for the stars and outer border.  I popped the top in the mail for her on Tuesday and she should receive it today.


This little squirt and her Mom came on the weekend for a sleepover.  We will go to her 4th birthday party on Saturday and then she will come back with us for another sleepover!  She will turn 4 on the 22nd.......wowzers where did that time go?????  She is excited for her baby brothers arrival at the beginning of March.


When I was searching for hexagon templates I came across a project I had started but never finished.  These are made with a cute charm square pack that I got for my birthday one year from Son1 (picked out by Jenna!)  Here it is just set out in rows (there is one row missing) but I have the rows stitched together now....now to stitch each row to the other.


I've used this picture for reference a few times after sewing the first two hexies together to see which one was on the end!  

The Birthday Block Club has started with my sewing group.  We had one January birthday and even though her birthday isn't until the end of the month, we had sewing days at the beginning of the month so she received most of her blocks.  Here are my contributions:


And here are the ones she had received on sewing days:

We have two birthdays in February and I worked on the first birthday on Sunday.  I have struggled with these first two fabrics as they aren't my favourite but to each their own!!!!!!!  😳
I made my hexies bigger for this next ones BUT when I stitched them to the background I hadn't centered them right and would have had to keep the selvage so I trimmed it down and added a border...not my favourite block but I do like the pinwheel one:



This gal did not want us to use yellow in her blocks.

I have the pinwheel block done for the next one but have to do the hexie one yet.  I am doing them by hand but machine stitching them to the background fabric.  I think I will do the same blocks for everyone except a couple of people.....maybe.  It is soooooo easy to do the same!!!!  

I am going to go shopping for Lyla's birthday gift and have decided to fill a bin with her very own craft supplies! I think it will be fun, fun, fun!  She LOVES doing crafts so I am hoping she will love this gift!  (I have already got the okay from her Mommy!!)  Laundry to be done today too so I'd best keep at it!  

Stay WARM!!!!!








No comments: