Thursday, August 24, 2017

Less vs More

Well, I am taking a break from painting....this time a couple of small bookcases.  I need to get them done so I can organize some office stuff.....there are things I need but have no idea where they are.  Being unorganized is not my thing!  hahaha  I have to paint the desk too but haven't decided on a color....or if I am going to stain it.......I can get organized with the shelves so they are the most important.

Last weekend we loaded up the dogs and headed north.  Our dogs are really great travellers....I'm thankful for that because it is a long drive!  Here they are, curled up on their bed snoozing away! :o)


We were at my Dad's the day of the eclipse.  As you can see, we had cloud coverage and even though it felt like the lighting changed, we couldn't see anything (this picture was taken on my cell phone on selfie mode lol....it was taken over my shoulder....I did not look at the sun!)  It was pretty uneventful really.  Some of the pictures off the internet are beautiful.  We were no where near "totality" (that's the phrase right?) so it wasn't that big of a deal.


Here is the shelf/towel holder I ask my Dad to make from the picture off of Pinterest.  It's perfect!  Smells a bit like the finish he put on it but over time that will wear off......now to pretty it up a bit.  



We also picked up a tiller that was my Mom's.  After Blair did a minor repair it worked great!  My garden is all tilled and ready to relax over winter and be raring to go next growing season!!  I'm sure it will be worked up a few more times beforehand.  I'm excited to have a bit of a garden again.



I was thinking today (as I often do when I'm painting) about a friend of mine in High River.  We worked together for almost three years but she had never been to my house.  When we knew it was sold, and before I started packing, I invited her over to see it.  I had never been to her house but I knew it was smaller than ours.  She loved our house and kept asking if I was going to miss it.  I said the one we were moving to was so much smaller.....a lot less house for sure!  People are always asking for pictures of our new house.....of course I would like it a bit more finished before I send pictures.  Then I catch myself feeling a bit embarrassed (is that the word?) because it's sooooo much less house then the one we came from.  Are we programmed to think that we should always be "moving up"?  Bigger, newer, better??  That as a couple in our 50's we should be living the dream and in our dream house with everything perfect and high end? This house is a third the size of the one in HR.  This house is decades older than the one in HR.  This house needs some updating and renovating.  But I do know one thing.....the house in HR never felt like home and this one does.  We haven't had the whole family here for a holiday meal or special occasion and I know it will be a lot more "cozy" than the one in HR!  Once the basement is finished here I hope we will have space for everyone to sleep, even if that means bringing out the air mattresses.  Not sure what we will do to fit in enough seating around some sort of tables to eat our big family meal.  But we will make it work.  Our house may be less but so is our mortgage payment.  Our house may be less but so is the time it takes for me to clean it.  Our house may be less but it's one that Hubby can come home to every night after work because it's a shorter distance to travel.  It is our home......and that makes it so much more.  

No comments: